Visit http://pinewoodderby.org/ for fun tips & ideas!
(Read the rules below before you modify your car!)
PINEWOOD DERBY SPECIFICATIONS
Maximum Car Dimensions
Track Clearance is 3/8 "
Width between wheels is 1 ¾ "
1. Only slots provided for axles may be used - NO wheelbase may be stretched or shortened!
2. Only nails and wheels that come with the kit are allowed. NO AXLES!
3. Wheels SHOULD be sanded flat and as smooth as possible.
4. SPRINGS, WASHERS, BUSHINGS and/or BEARINGS on wheels and MOVABLE WEIGHTS are
5. Any attachments to the car body must be permanently affixed.
6. Weighting from the bottom of the car is permitted as long as the weights DO NOT stick out from the
bottom of the car, due to the friction brake at the finish.
7. NO OIL of any kind is to be used on axles or wheels. Dry graphite is permitted.
8. The car must be made in the current year.
PINEWOOD DERBY RULES
1. Each car must meet the above specifications.
2. INSPECTORS HAVE THE RIGHT TO DISQUALIFY ANY CAR THAT DOES NOT MEET THESE
3. After the car has been registered, it will be placed on the assigned spot in the pits, after which NO ONE
will be allowed in the pits or allowed to touch the cars EXCEPT the Pit Stewards.
4. IF THE CAR JUMPS THE TRACK, the race will be rerun. A car that will NOT stay on the track after
THREE (3) tries will be eliminated. Cars that develop obvious defects, i.e.; loose wheels, may be
REPAIRED, REWEIGHED and RERUN.
5. No part of the car may protrude past the start gate prior to the start of the race.
Important: Any weights added to the bottom of a car should be recessed into the wood in order to clear
the bottom of the track.
In all races, decision of judge is final!